architecture

Cabildo of Buenos Aires

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Cabildo de Buenos Aires [Spanish]
Museo Nacional del Cabildo y la Revolución de Mayo [Spanish]

Architecture

The Cabildo served as seat of the town council and government house of the Viceroyalty during the colonial period. The edifice also housed the Royal Audience of Buenos Aires, the Appeals Chamber, and the city's prison. The building's original design featured 11 arches; however, three of the arches on the north side were demolished in 1889, along with the tower. Subsequent to this, the three arches on the south side were also demolished to restore the building's symmetry. Its colonial character was restored between 1939 and 1940, including the reconstruction of the tower.

full/alternative names
National Museum of the Cabildo and the May Revolution
historic names
Cabildo of the City of the Most Holy Trinity and Port of Saint Mary of the Fair Winds
Cabildo de la Ciudad de la Santísima Trinidad y Puerto de Nuestra Señora del Buen Ayre [Spanish]
built
1725-1740
1940-1960
culture
style/period
work type
1740–1821
1740–1821
1740–1812
1740–1877
since 1939
material
technique
architect / constr. phase
1940-1960
reconstruction of colonial appearance

Specifications

height
33.0 m
stories (above ground)
2

Geography

local language location name
Buenos Aires, Argentina [Spanish]